How To Do Cable Overhead Tricep Extension
Cable Overhead Tricep Extension Exercise
Cable Overhead Tricep Extension is a great isolation exercise for the triceps.
This exercise is effective because it places constant tension on the triceps, gives it a good stretch at the bottom position and a strong contraction at the top.
Cable Overhead Tricep Extension is best done as a finishing exercise.
You get better results with this exercise by using light weights and focusing on proper form and technique.
Cable Overhead Tricep Extension How To
- Set the height of the rope pulley of a cable machine station so that it is above your head.
- Grab the ends of the rope pulley and face away from the cable machine station. Take a few steps forward so there will be tension on the cable.
- Keep your elbows parallel to the floor and in line with the top of your shoulders. Place one foot forward for better balance. Your back should be at a 70 degree angle.
- Extend your elbows until your arms are completely straight. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Bring your elbows back to starting position by resisting the weight. Get a good stretch on your triceps without lifting your elbows out of their original position.
- Another version is to set the rope pulley at the bottom of the cable machine station and to pull the rope from behind your head. Your upper body is close to upright position.
- Keep your elbows in place. Extend your elbows until your arms are straight and hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Resist the weight as you go back to starting position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
The key to both versions of Cable Overhead Tricep Extension is to keep the elbows steady.
Do not allow them to drift out of position or flare out because this shifts the focus from the triceps to the shoulders.
It also places unnecessary strain on the elbows.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps