Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift exercise is a great exercise for targeting your lower back, hamstrings, glutes, traps, shoulders and forearms.
The core muscles are also engaged to stabilise and support the lower back.
Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift is particularly effective in developing flexibility in your hip, lower back, glutes and hamstrings.
Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts How To
- Take an overhand, shoulder width grip on a pair of dumbbells. Bring them up to the front of your thighs.
- Assume a shoulder width stance with both feet in a neutral position.
- Pull your shoulders back, tighten your core and maintain a flat back position throughout the exercise.
- Bend at the hip and bring the dumbbells close to the floor. Your legs must remain lightly bent; keep lowering the dumbbells until your hips are at the same level as your shoulders. You must feel a good stretch on your hamstrings.
- Bring the dumbbells back up by extending your hips and pushing it forward when the dumbbells are above your knees. Your arms must remain perfectly straight.
- At the top position, make sure your shoulders are dropped lower. You can go further back to slightly hyper-extend your lower back. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Resist the weight as you bring the dumbbells back to starting position. Do not let the dumbbells touch the ground so you can maintain constant tension.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
The dumbbells must always travel close to the body when doing Dumbbell Romanian Deadlift.
Do not allow the dumbbells to drift forward. Keep your back flat; avoid rounding out your lower back.
Because of the strong stretch on the hamstrings, it is advisable to use only light or moderately heavy weight.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!