GHD Sit Ups Exercise
GHD Sit Ups is an explosive exercise that develops the muscles of the core section specifically the rectus abdominis and transverse abdominis.
It also aggressively recruits the hip flexors and induces a deep stretch on your lower back.
GHD Sit Ups will help build strong abdominal muscles and improve your level of flexibility and mobility.
This exercise is valuable for those who participate in physical activities that require overhead motion such as baseball, tennis, football and basketball.
GHD Sit Ups Progression & Mobility
- Set up the GHD Extension machine. Make sure it is stable by placing heavy dumbbells on its base.
- Set up the heel pad so that you feet are secure.
- Set up the hip pad so that when you sit on top of it, your knee will be bent and your hip will be slightly over the edge.
- Lean back under control by extending at the hips. Throw back your arms and touch the floor.
- Contract the hip flexors and explosively push the back of your knees against the hip pad to bring your upper body up and over.
- At the top position where your back is at 45 degrees, contract your upper abdominals by pulling them toward your rib cage and extend your arms forward until your hands touch the heel pad.
- Return to starting position by lowering your body under control.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Faults, Form and Technique
The common fault in GHD Sit Up is trying to do the traditional sit up by keeping the legs straight throughout the exercise.
This will make it more difficult and reduce the amount of power the exercise generates.
How To Do GHD Sit Ups
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!