Landmine Press exercise is an effective exercise that builds the lateral and front heads of the shoulders and the triceps.
It also activates the core muscles to stabilise the upper body and support the lower back.
Landmine Press is a valuable exercise for those who participate in field events such as the shot put, boxing, martial arts and other sports that require elbow extension.
Landmine Presses How To
- Jam a barbell at the corner of the gym and load the front end with a weight that you can comfortably lift.
- Bring the barbell up to your shoulder level. Take a shoulder width stance, lean forward slightly and heels must be in line with your hips.
- The barbell must be positioned slightly outside the lateral head of the pressing shoulder.
- Tighten your core then press the barbell following a semi-arch pathway so that there will be a degree of shoulder rotation. Tension must shift from the lateral head to the front head of the shoulder. Do not lock out your elbow.
- Bring the bar back to the starting position by resisting the weight and following the same pathway. At the bottom position, the elbow should just be in line with the shoulder and hip.
- Once you have completed the targeted number of reps, transfer the barbell to the other shoulder and repeat the exercise. Do the exact number of sets and reps per shoulder.
Form and Technique
When pressing, do not keep your elbow tucked tightly into your side.
It should be slightly angled so you can follow a semi-circle arc that hits the lateral and front head of the shoulder.
Always keep your chest out to keep your shoulder from rounding over.
Finally, do not extend the elbow past shoulder level on the return because it will also lead to unnecessary shoulder rotation.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Landmine Press
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!