How To Do Leg Curl
Leg Curl Exercise
Leg curl is a great accessory exercise for doing later on in your leg workout program.
Designed to bring the hamstring muscles to a point of full exhaustion, this isolation exercise can be done with one or both legs.
The leg curl is great for ensuring good balance between the hamstring and quad muscles as it’s a way to effectively isolate the hamstrings without allowing the quads to do any work.
This typically is not possible when doing other compound lower body exercises such as squats, deadlifts, or lunges, so it’s an important exercise to get into any leg workout.
Leg Curl How To
- Get into the seated position in a leg curl machine
- Place the feet under the foot pad and select the appropriate level of weight that you wish to use.
- Flex the feet to achieve the most intense muscular contraction
- Keeping the core tight, begin to contract the hamstrings as you attempt to bring the feet as close to the glutes as possible.
- Pause briefly at the top of the move if possible for increased tension on the muscle and then relax and lower the weight to the starting position to complete the rep.
Form and Technique
Perform the exercise in a slow and controlled movement pattern, never letting momentum come into play.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps