How To Do Medicine Ball Slams
Medicine Ball Slams is an explosive exercise that works the abdominals; the rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis, serratus and the hips.
It also works the legs, shoulders and the upper back.
Medicine Ball Slams will develop power; improve conditioning, balance and coordination.
Medicine Ball Slams Progression & Mobility
- Pick up a medicine ball, bring it to your midsection and assume a hip width position.
- Shift your weight to your heels as if you are about to squat. Draw your navel in and slightly retract the scapulae. The medicine ball should now be at chest level.
- Press the medicine ball overhead by shifting your weight from heels to toes. You could be on your toes at this position with your body at full extension.
- Explosively slam the medicine ball on the floor by dropping the chest and shifting your weight back to the heels.
- Catch the medicine ball as it rebounds from the floor.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps or time interval.
Faults, Form and Technique
Common fault with Medicine Ball Slams is not properly shifting your weight from heels to toes. This is how you generate power in this exercise.
Another fault is arching or hyper-extending the lower back at the top position. At the fully extended position, your body should be straightened out.
This means the medicine ball, elbows, shoulders and hips should be in alignment before your lower the chest to slam the ball to the floor.
Variations: Medicine Ball Sit Ups