How To Do Smith Machine Deadlift
Smith Machine Deadlift is an excellent compound exercise that works the entire back, glutes, quadriceps, hamstrings, rear shoulders, traps, biceps and forearm muscles.
It also engages the core muscles to maintain the correct upper body position and to support the lower back.
Smith Machine Deadlift is a safer alternative to the conventional barbell Deadlift because the Smith Machine locks your body to follow a set pathway. There is less need for balancing the weight.
Smith Machine Deadlift How To
- Set the catches of the Smith Machine at its lowest point. If the Smith Machine’s setting is not low enough to allow a full range of motion, use a platform. At the starting point the bar must be 10 to 15 cm below the knee.
- Take a shoulder width overhand grip on the bar. Assume a shoulder width position, feet slightly angled out. Bend your knees and keep a flat back position; hips must be lower than shoulder level. The bar must be in line with your shoulders. Keep your arms fully straightened out but relaxed.
- Tighten your core, take a deep breath and exhale. Lift the weight by pushing your heels through the floor. Extend your knees then your hips. As the bar passes knee level, push your hips forward.
- At the top position, pull your shoulders slightly back. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Bring the weight back to starting position by bending at the hips, then the knees when the bar passes it. At the bottom position, reset your position then begin the next rep.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
When doing Smith Machine Deadlift it is important to start the lift with the hips lower than shoulder level.
The pull must be initiated by the legs not by your lower back.
The legs will only straighten out when the bar passes the knee on the way up.
Your hips must not come up at the start of the lift or this will place tremendous strain on your lower back.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps