Tricep Pulldown exercise is an isolation exercise that targets the inner head of the triceps.
The reverse grip or underhand grip allows the elbows to be tucked in close to the torso which activates the inner head more than the outer or middle head of the triceps.
Tricep pull downs can be used as a warm up for the elbows and triceps before a pressing exercise for the chest or shoulders.
It can also be a finishing exercise in a tricep rotation. Either way, you will get better results by using light weight and strict form.
Tricep Pulldowns Exercise How To
- Position a straight bar or an EZ curl bar on a setting in the cable machine that is above your head.
- Take an underhand grip and use your lats to bring the bar to the bottom position where your arms are fully extended.
- Tuck your arms to your sides and lean forward slightly for better stability.
- Bring the bar up to your lower chest by bending the elbows. Resist the weight as it goes to the top position. Your elbows must be firmly tucked into your torso.
- You should feel a stretch on your triceps when your forearms are above parallel position.
- Push the bar down to starting position by extending the elbows until your arms are straightened out. Contract the triceps hard and hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Do not allow the elbows to move forward and backward. Only the forearms should be moving up and down in Tricep rope pulldown.
Do not lean into the pulley and use bodyweight to push the weight down.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
Tricep Pulldown FAQs
How do you do a tricep pulldown?
For correct tricep pulldown form, stand with your feet shoulder width apart with your knees slightly bent.
Grab the bar with an underhand grip, lock your elbows by your side and then pull down on the bar until your arms reach lockout position.
Slowly resist the cable upwards, then repeat.
What muscles do tricep pulldowns work?
Tricep pulldown muscles worked include tricep brachii, all three heads of the tricep, long head, medial and lateral.
Are tricep pulldowns good?
Yes, tricep pulldowns are a great exercise to build and strengthen your triceps.
Cable tricep pulldown can be added to any arm workout for muscle or strength.
Do tricep pulldowns build mass?
Yes, tricep pulldowns build mass providing you’re exercising consistently and continually increasing the amount of weight you’re lifting to ensure the tricep muscles are overloaded, triggering growth.
How To Do Tricep Pulldown
You Won't Believe Our Weird Car Exercises!
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!