How To Do 21’s
21’s is a unique and challenging way to stimulate growth in your biceps. 21’s also works your forearms.
This exercise is best done as a finisher in your biceps workout rotation. You should only use light weights to get the maximum benefits from 21’s.
21’s How To:
- Pick up an EZ bar and load it with weight that is light enough for you to complete 21’s.
- Take an underhand grip that is around 15 cm apart. Keep a slight bend in your elbows which must always remain ahead of your hips throughout the exercise.
- Tighten your core, arch your lower back and bend your knee slightly. Maintain squared shoulders and push out your chest.
- Flex at the elbow and curl the weight halfway a total of 7 reps; your forearm should be parallel to the floor.
- After completing 7 reps, curl the weight to shoulder level. From there, curl the weight to halfway position and do another 7 reps.
- After completing 7 reps from shoulder to halfway position, do a complete EZ Bar curl from top of your thighs to shoulder level for a total of 7 reps. All 3 sets of 7 reps in different positions is one set of 21’s.
- Repeat the exercise if you feel you can do another set of 21’s.
Form and Technique
With 21’s, light weights can feel very heavy. You must always use good form and technique. Do not bend at the trunk and use momentum to curl the weight.
Breathing is a key component to completing 21’s. Inhale as you bring the bar down and exhale as you curl up.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 21 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 21 reps