How To Do Barbell Wrist Curl
Barbell Wrist Curl Exercise
Barbell Wrist Curl is an effective exercise for targeting the underbelly of the forearm muscles primarily the forearm flexors and wrist flexors with secondary emphasis on the brachioradialis muscles.
The second version of Barbell Wrist Curls will work the top part of the forearm with primary emphasis on the extensor muscles and the brachioradialis muscles.
Barbell Wrist Curl can add size and strength to your forearm muscles. This is often used to improve grip strength and to develop flexibility in the wrist.
Grip strength is very important in almost all types of physical activity such as golf, tennis and football.
Barbell Wrist Curl How To
- Kneel behind a flat bench.
- Take a shoulder width underhand grip on a straight barbell. Brace your forearms securely on top of the bench. The wrist, forearms and elbows must be in line with your shoulders.
- Your wrists should hang off the bench. Roll the barbell down to your finger tips.
- Flex the wrist and forearm muscles and curl the barbell up until your wrists are in a fully flexed position. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Bend the wrist back and allow the barbell to roll back to starting position under complete control.
- To work the top part of the forearms, take a shoulder width overhand grip on a barbell and rest the bottom part of your forearms on the bench. Let your wrists hang off the bench.
- Flex the wrists and extensor muscles and curl the barbell up until the wrists are fully extended up. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Return to starting position under complete control.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of exercises.
Form and Technique
Barbell Wrist Curls will place compression forces on the tendons and ligaments of your wrist.
This is why you should not use heavy weight and instead focus on the stretch at the bottom and the contraction at the top.
You will get better results using light weight and high rep program on Barbell Wrist Curls.
Always keep your wrists aligned with your elbows and shoulders to avoid straining your joints.
Lean your body slightly forward when doing Barbell Wrist Curls to improve stability.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps