How To Do Bent Over Dumbbell Row
Bent Over Dumbbell Row Exercise
Bent over dumbbell row is a fantastic exercise for hitting the lat muscles as well as the Rhomboids.
It’ll also call into play your bicep muscles as they work as synergists to help you complete the movement pattern.
The bent over dumbbell row exercise is a compound exercise, so aim to perform it towards the start of your workout session when you are feeling fresh and ready to work hard.
Bent Over Dumbbell Row How To
- Get into a standing position with the feet about hip width apart with a set of dumbbells down on the ground in front of you.
- Bend over at the waist and then grab the dumbbells, one in either hand. The back should be at slightly higher than a 90 degree angle with the legs.
- Keeping the head looking down, pull the weight up and into the underarm area as the elbows move back. You should feel the contracting taking place between the shoulder blades to know you are targeting the area correctly.
- Pause when the weights are as high up as they can go and then lower back down to complete the rep.
- Continue until all reps are completed and then place the weights back on the floor in front of you.
Form and Technique
While doing this exercise, avoid swinging the dumbbells up using momentum to help you execute the exercise.
Instead, use a very slow and controlled movement pattern the entire way through.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps