Lying Lateral Raise Exercise
Lying Lateral Raise is a great isolation exercise for the lateral head of the shoulder.
Because the exercise is performed unilaterally, it will also work the core muscles particularly the obliques in order to maintain balance and stability.
You will get great results only by using perfect form and technique. You should only use light weights when doing Lying Lateral Raise.
Lying Lateral Raise is best done at the end of your shoulder workout when you are less prone to using heavy weights.
This exercise can help improve stability and mobility in the shoulder which is important for those who participate in boxing, basketball, tennis and swimming.
Lying Lateral Raise How To
- Lie with one side of your body on the floor. Keep the side of the body perfectly straight; your legs should be in line with your hips and shoulders.
- Pick up a light dumbbell and position your arm on the side of your thigh. The elbow supporting your weight must be stable and braced against the floor.
- Raise the dumbbell with your arm perfectly straight. The top position will be at shoulder level. Hold the top position for a count of “one”.
- Resist the weight on the way back down to starting position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number or reps.
Form and Technique
When doing Lying Lateral Raise, you have to fully engage your core in order to stabilise the upper body.
Otherwise your upper body will keep shifting as you raise the dumbbell.
It is important to keep the arm perfectly straight so that all the tension will be on the lateral head.
Keep the weight light to reduce strain on your elbows.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)
Routine for Muscle Gains: 5 sets x AMRAP (45-60 secs rest between sets)
How To Do Lying Lateral Raises
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!