Stomach Vacuum Exercise
Stomach Vacuum is an exercise that directly targets the transverse abdominis using specialised, proper breathing technique.
Stomach Vacuum is popularly practiced by deep sea divers to improve breathing efficiency.
It is also used by those who participate in explosive physical activity such as sprinting, martial arts and boxing where correct breathing is necessary to generate maximum force.
Stomach Vacuum is best done at the end of your workout to help you recover.
Correct breathing can stimulate better flow of oxygen and enhance recovery.
Stomach Vacuum How To
- Lie on the floor with your hands and knees.
- Inhale as much air as you can through your nose for a count of 5 seconds.
- When you cannot inhale any more air, hold your breath for one second.
- Exhale all the air that you have breathed in from your mouth and simultaneously pull your belly button in toward you spine.
- Once you’ve completely expelled all the air from your system, hold your breath for 3 seconds. Breathe out normally.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Always perform Stomach Vacuum on an empty stomach. This is a very challenging exercise that when done properly, will not require more than 5 reps to get good results.
You can do Stomach Vacuum while standing, kneeling or lying down.
If you have not done Stomach Vacuum before, it is best to do this lying down on your back with your knees bent at a 90 degree angle.
Remember to inhale through your nose and breathe out through your mouth.
Variations: Swiss Ball Pike
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 5 reps
How To Do Stomach Vacuum
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!