How To Do Ab Pulldown
Ab Pulldown Exercise
Ab Pulldown is a great exercise that targets the core, particularly the upper abdominals and serratus muscles.
The lower abdominals and lower back muscles are activated at the bottom position of the exercise.
This is a fantastic exercise to overload the upper abdominals and build muscle with more resistance by using heavier weight.
Ab Pulldown How To
- Grab the ends of a rope pulley handle then kneel in front of the cable machine station.
- Tighten your core muscles; keep a flat back position. Pull your elbows to the side of your trunk.
- Initiate the cable crunch by contracting your upper abdominals; pull your upper abs toward your ribcage. This will bring the elbows to touch your upper thighs. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Return to the starting position by extending your upper abs.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Ab Pulldown requires you to focus on allowing your upper abs to do all the work. Do not use your arms to pull the cable.
This is why your elbows have to remain firmly tucked into your sides. Your arms should not drift forward in this exercise.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps