How To Do Cable Oblique Twist
Cable Oblique Twist is a dynamic exercise that isolates the abdominal muscles with greater emphasis on the oblique muscles and hip flexors. Cable Oblique Twist also work the lower back.
Cable Oblique Twist helps develop flexibility and mobility in the trunk, hips and lower back.
It teaches you how to activate your core muscles during activities that require trunk rotation.
This exercise is a valuable addition to your program if you engage in physical activities such as baseball, golf and tennis.
Cable Oblique Twist How To
- Set the handle of the cable pulley to height above your head.
- Grab the handle with both hands then move slightly forward to create tension on the cable.
- Turn to the left side so that the left arm will be almost straight while the right arm remains bent. The left knee should slightly rotate outward almost 45 degrees.
- Keep your core tight; chest out and a flat back position.
- Rotate your hips to the left; your arms must remain in front of your chest at all times. At the completed position, both arms should be straight.
- Return to starting position by rotating your hip from left to right; resist the weight by contracting your core section.
- Once you have completed the targeted number of reps, switch positions by turning your body to the right. The right arm is now straight and the right knee angled out to 45 degrees. Perform the exact number of reps.
Form And Technique
When doing Cable Oblique Twist, do not pull the cable handle with your arms. Only your hips will turn while the arms remain in position.
Keep in mind that the hips lead in this exercise. At the finished position, the arms must be in front of the chest.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps