How To Do Cable Squat Row
Cable Squat Row is a unique exercise that combines the Squat and Cable Row and has many benefits.
It builds your quadriceps, hamstrings, gluteus muscles as well as your lats, traps, rear shoulders, biceps and forearms.
Cable Squat Row will also engage your core muscles to stabilise the upper body and support the lower back.
Compound exercises that target multiple muscle groups can burn more calories.
Cable Squat Row can be used as a workout finisher or as part of an interval training program.
Cable Squat Row How To
- Set up the handles of a pulley machine to slightly lower than hip level.
- Stand at a distance where you can feel tension on the lats at the starting position of Cable Squat Row.
- Your feet must be shoulder width apart and slightly angled outside. Put a slight arch on your lower back by pushing your hips out.
- Tighten your core and while holding the pulley handles with your arms in extended position, descend to the bottom position of the squat by bending at the hips then the knees. The weight must be on your heels.
- At the bottom position, your hips must be lower than your knees which should be in line with your toes.
- Squat back up by driving your heels to the floor, extending your knees then hips.
- At the top position, contract your lats and row the weight to your midsection in one fluid motion. Pull your scapulae back to get a good squeeze in your lats, traps and rear shoulders.
- As you go back to starting position, resist the weight while simultaneously descending to the bottom squat position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Combining two exercises in Cable Squat Row requires coordination. It is advisable to use only light to moderately heavy weight so you can focus on form and technique.
Keep a slight bend in your knees and elbows throughout the entire exercise. Row the weight to your midsection by pulling with your elbows.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps