How To Do Face Pulls
Face Pulls Exercise
Face Pull is an excellent exercise for isolating the posterior muscles in the shoulders and the upper back including the traps.
Face Pull can improve shoulder stability and mobility which is important for those who participate in activities such swimming, gymnastics, tennis and other racquet sports.
This exercise can be used as a finisher in a back or shoulder workout.
Face Pull How To
- Set the rope pulley at chest level height. Grab the rope pulley handles step back until you feel tension when your arms at full extension. Put one foot forward and lean back slightly.
- Bend your knees, tighten your core and keep an arch on your lower back.
- Take a deep breath, exhale then contract your shoulders and upper back. Row the pulley rope toward your face. Pull your scapulae blades together; you should feel a contraction in your rear shoulders and traps. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Resist the weight back to starting position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Do not pull or row the weight using your biceps. Keep a slight bend in your arms and row by pulling or leading back with your elbows.
Keep the body position stable throughout the exercise. Do not rock back and forth or bend at the trunk to get a better stretch or to generate momentum.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps