How To Do Dumbbell Military Press
Dumbbell Military Press Exercise
Dumbbell Military Press is a great exercise for hitting the lateral and medial deltoid muscle, which will give you that nice ‘capped’ appearance to your shoulders.
It’s a compound exercise, meaning it’ll work more than one muscle group at once, giving you great strength gains and also helping to elevate your rate of total fat burning.
When doing the Dumbbell Military Press, you can expect to work your deltoids along with your tricep muscles.
You’ll also hit the biceps as they help you stabilise the weight as you press up and lower it down.
Dumbbell Military Press How To
- Get into a standing position with the feet about hip width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand.
- Bring the dumbbell up as you bend the elbows so that the weight is resting just at shoulder height level.
- Contract the abs and then press the weight directly over the head, extending but not locking the elbows.
- Pause in the top position for a brief second and then slower down until your elbows are at a 90 degree angle.
- Press back up to complete the next rep.
Form And Technique
While you do this exercise, you’ll want to ensure that you keep your core tight and prevent a sway in your lower back at all times to prevent injury.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps