Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press exercise is a great compound exercise to overload the shoulders with maximal weight and helping to bring on gains in size in strength.
This exercise will primary target the anterior deltoids as well as recruiting the side and rear delts to a slight degree.
Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Presses Exercise How To
- Adjust the bench angle to 90 degrees or locate one that is designed for shoulder pressing.
- Grasp two dumbbells and place them on your knees.
- Kip each dumbbell up one at a time, and press up, exhale.
- Inhale and lower the dumbbells until arms are at 90 degrees.
- Drive the weight directly over your head, extending the elbows until they are straight but not locked.
- Pause and then lower down to complete the rep.
Form and Technique
Avoid locking out at the top to maintain time under tension and ease pressure off the joints.
As you get more advanced, also consider using a spotter to help with this exercise.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!