How To Do Dumbbell Side Bends
Dumbbell Side Bends Exercise
Dumbbell Side Bends is a great exercise for targeting the oblique muscles, the hips and also engages the core and lower back to maintain the correct upper body position.
Dumbbell Side Bends will develop strength, flexibility and balance in your hips and lower back.
This exercise can be done at the end of a back workout and is valuable for those who participate in physical activities that require hip and core stability such as football, basketball and rugby.
Dumbbell Side Bends How To
- Pick up two dumbbells and place them on your sides. Your arms must be extended but relaxed.
- Assume a shoulder width position, keep a slight arch on your lower back and push your chest out. Maintain this straight body position throughout the exercise.
- Bend to one side by bending at the hip; allow the dumbbell to travel alongside your trunk and toward the floor.
- When you feel a comfortable stretch on your oblique muscle, hold for a count of “one”. Contract the oblique and pull your abdominal muscle toward the ribcage to bring the dumbbell back to the starting position.
- At the starting position, reset your body then repeat the exercise on the other side.
- Perform the exact number of reps on both sides.
Form and Technique
Dumbbell Side Bends is an exercise that requires precise execution of technique because it may expose your lower back to unnecessary pressure.
Maintain the straight body position and the dumbbell should travel within the shoulder and hip alignment.
Do not let the dumbbell drift forward or backward.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps