Handstand Walk is a challenging exercise that develops the shoulders, lat muscles, upper and lower back, gluteus muscles and the hips.
It also active engages the core muscles to keep the body in a stable position.
Before attempting to do Handstand Walks, it would be best to be comfortable and confident first with the Handstand Hold.
Work toward building enough strength, stability and balance with the stationary Handstand Hold before transitioning to Handstand Walk.
Handstand Walk Progression & Mobility
- Find a matted area to do the Handstand Walk.
- Place one foot forward and raise your arms straight up overhead. Your shoulders should be right against your ears. Activate your lat muscles to be ready for the transition to the handstand.
- Bend at the hips and reach toward the floor with both hands. Kick up with both legs; keep them straight with your feet together and toes pointed up.
- At the handstand position, you hands should be directly under your shoulders. Your gluteus and lat muscles must remain activated throughout the exercise to maintain stability.
- From the handstand position, move your hands alternately side to side.
- Once you’re reached your targeted distance, kick down and return to the standing position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps or time interval.
Faults, Form and Technique
In Handstand Walk, the most common fault is starting the walk with legs wide apart.
This creates a large arch in your lower back and will throw you off balance.
Another fault is performing the Handstand Walk with legs bent and trying to create forward momentum.
This will reduce the level of control you have over the exercise.
Rushing through the exercise by moving your hands too quickly in form will also cause you to lose balance and stability.
How To Do Handstand Walk
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!