Medicine Ball Clean And Jerk Exercise
Medicine Ball Clean and Jerk is a dynamic exercise that targets the quadriceps, gluteus muscles, hamstrings, calves and the hips.
It also involves the upper back, shoulders and traps. The core muscles are activated throughout the exercise to stabilise the upper body and support the lower back.
Medicine Ball Clean and Jerk is a great way to learn the traditional barbell Clean and Jerk safely.
It will help build strength, power, balance, coordination and mobility.
Medicine Ball Clean and Jerk Progression & Mobility
- Position a medicine ball near the front of your toes.
- Assume a slightly narrower than shoulder width position. Descend to the bottom position of the Squat. Your knees must be over the feet, hips higher than the knees but lower than the shoulders. Maintain a flat back position.
- Secure a grip with your palms at the side of the medicine ball. The wrists must be in line with your elbows and shoulders.
- Squat up by pushing down with your feet and keeping your shins at a vertical position.
- When the medicine ball is at knee level, drive your hips forward forcefully to throw the medicine ball over and onto your upper chest. Try to keep your elbows as high as possible.
- Straighten your legs and adjust your stance to a hip width position.
- Dip your knees and push your hips down then press the medicine ball overhead. Push your head through your arms near lockout. Bend your knees as the medicine hits top position and push your hips out. Straighten your legs.
- Bring the medicine ball back to your upper chest. Dip your knees to reduce impact on your shoulders.
- Descend to the bottom position of the squat and return the ball to the floor.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Faults, Form and Technique
Starting the exercise with a rounded back places the lower back at risk.
The same goes for extending through the legs during the clean part of the exercise.
Finally, keeping your elbows in as you transition to the Jerk will result in relying more on muscle strength than technique.
It may put your elbows and shoulders at risk of injury.
How To Do Medicine Ball Clean And Jerk
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!