How To Do Overhead Squat
Overhead Squat Exercise
Overhead squat exercise is a great exercise to perform that will work the entire lower body while also strengthening the back, shoulders, chest, and core as well.
Because this exercise is total body movement, it is great for building strength, power, muscular size, as well as for burning fat thanks to the high calorie burn it will give you with each and every rep performed.
Do it near the start of your workout program when you are feeling fresh for best results.
Overhead Squat How To
- Stand with a weighted barbell in front of your feet
- Bend down and pick up the barbell, bringing it up to shoulder height and then push it up above your head with the elbows straight but not locked into place.
- Slowly bend the knees as you lower down into the squat. Aim to go the full way to down to fully recruit the glute muscles as you do this lift.
- Once in the lowered position, pause and then press up to complete the rep once again.
- Continue on until all reps are completed and then bring the barbell back down and place it on the ground.
Form and Technique
Keep your core tight the entire time to keep the back upright and prevent from adopting a forward lean.
Keep the head looking forward and ensure the knees move directly over the toes.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps