Side Jackknife is an effective exercise for targeting the oblique muscles but it also engages the transverse abdominis, rectus abdominis and serratus mucles.
Your shoulders, hips and legs are secondary stabilisers in this exercise.
Side Jackknifes can develop strength, stability and flexibility in your hips and lower back.
You can do Side Jackknife as a warm up exercise to prime the abdominal muscles, hips and lower back before working your back and legs.
You can also perform Side Jackknife as a finisher in your abdominal workout.
Side Jackknife How To
- Lie on your side on the floor. Keep your legs straight and aligned with your hip and shoulder.
- Bend at the elbow and position it directly under your shoulder.
- Raise and bend the opposite elbow, place your hand behind your head.
- Contract your oblique and raise your legs as high as you can. Hold the position for a count of “one”. Return your legs to starting position.
- Once you have completed the rep, switch sides and work your other oblique. Perform the exact number of reps.
Form and Technique
Side Jackknife is an exercise where tension is very important. Even though a count of “one” is necessary, if you can hold the position longer, you can get better results.
Side Jackknife falls under the category of “time under tension”. This means you get better results when you hold the position for an extended period of time.
Make sure your elbow is directly under your shoulder for better support and stability. Do not pull on your head to get a better contraction.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)
Routine for Muscle Gains: n/a
How To Do Side Jackknife
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!