Side Plank Hold exercise is an effective exercise for targeting the oblique muscles while also engaging the entire core section.
This exercise also develops other muscles such as the shoulders, hips and legs which are the secondary stabilisers in this exercise.
Side Plank Holds are a valuable exercise for sprinters and other sports which require a rigid torso.
The longer you maintain the hold the stronger the hips, obliques and lower back and the more rigid the torso.
Side Plank Hold can be done as a warm up exercise to prime the abdominal muscles, hips and lower back before working your back and legs.
You can also use Side Plank Hold as a workout finisher.
Side Plank Holds Exercise How To
- Lie on your side on the floor with straight legs position.
- Bend at the elbow and position it directly under your shoulder.
- Bridge your body up so that your hip is off the floor.
- Bring your hip as high up as you can and hold the position for a pre-determined period of time. Maintain the straight body position throughout the exercise.
- Once you have completed the rep, switch sides and work your other oblique. Perform the rep under the same amount of time.
Form and Technique
The standard for fitness for Side Plank Hold is 2 minutes.
If you cannot maintain the hold for 2 minutes, start out with that you can comfortably hold with good form then slowly build up your time from there.
You can also do sets with Side Plank Hold with each rep holding for 10 seconds. Start out with 3 sets of five 10 second holds.
Work your way up to 5 sets of five 10 second holds.
Make sure your elbow is directly under your shoulder for better support and stability.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x hold as long as possible (30 secs rest between sets)
Routine for Muscle Gains: n/a
How To Do Side Plank Hold
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!