Sumo Deadlift High Pull exercise is an explosive exercise that teaches you how to pull from the floor using the power of your hips.
The Sumo Deadlift High Pull builds your hamstrings, lower back and gluteus muscles and also recruits the muscles of the lats, rear shoulders and traps.
Whenever you do an exercise that requires multiple body parts, your core muscles need to stay tight in order to support your lower back.
Sumo High Pull Deadlift will build muscle size, strength, power, speed and coordination.
Sumo Deadlift High Pull Progression & Mobility
- Assume the bottom position of the Sumo Deadlift; feet wider than shoulder width, feet slightly pointed out. Grab the center of the bar with an overhand grip spacing of approximately one thumb distance.
- Drop your hips to a position slightly lower than your shoulders but above the knees. Maintain a flat back and vertical shins. Shoulders should be positioned slightly in front of the bar.
- Initiate the pull by driving your heels through the floor. When the bar reaches knee level, drive your hips explosively and let the momentum bring the bar to your clavicle where your elbows should be raised up and pointing to the ceiling.
- Bring the bar back down to your hips before bringing it to the floor.
- Repeat the exercise until you complete the targeted number of reps.
Faults, Form and Technique
The most common faults when doing Sumo Deadlift High Pulls are rounding the back at the start of the Deadlift or pulling with straight legs which place too much pressure on the lower back.
Another problem in technique is muscling up the weight the clavicles by using the arm and shoulder muscles which slows down the movement.
Then you have pulling the weight up with your elbows pointed down instead of up which places your body in an awkward and off- balanced position.
How To Do Sumo Deadlift High Pulls
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!