How To Do Bench Press
Bench Press Exercise
Bench press is an all-time favourite compound movement that will help with the development of both size and strength for the chest.
This exercise will primarily target the pectoral major while also recruiting the anterior deltoids and the triceps.
Bench Press How To
- Lie down on your back on the flat bench.
- Grip the barbell with a shoulder width grip with the thumbs around the bar.
- Plant your feet firmly against the floor and remove the barbell from the rack.
- Lower the bar down towards the middle of the chest as you inhale.
- Press the bar directly back up to the starting position as you exhale.
Form and Technique
To make the movement more shoulder friendly, tuck elbows in close to the body throughout.
Retract shoulder blades back and down, while keeping the upper back tight. Also be sure to never lock the elbows in the top position.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps