How To Do Close Grip Bench Press
Close Grip Bench Press Exercises
Close grip bench press is an excellent way to work the chest muscles while also putting more emphasis on the triceps than the normal bench press would alone.
This move is great for building power and definition in the chest muscles and will also hit the shoulders to some degree as well.
Close Grip Bench Press How To
- Get into a bench press machine and place the hands up on the bar, using an underhand grip with a closer than shoulder-width apart hand placement.
- The closer your hands are together, the more they’ll hit the tricep muscle.
- From here, keep the core tight and press the weight up off the rack until the elbows are straightened.
- Pause in this position and then slowly lower the weight down to the chest.
- Pause here and then drive the weight back upwards to complete the rep.
Form and Technique
When doing this exercise, remember to keep the core tight at all times to avoid lifting the lower back way up off the bench.
In addition to that, never lock the elbows at the top of the lift or you’ll be placing great strain on your joints.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps