Smith machine bench press exercise is a great exercise to do when you are looking to build size and strength in your pecs and don’t have a spotter available.
By positioning yourself in the smith machine, you’ll get the spot you need form the machine therefore you can push yourself hard.
As a primary strength builder, perform this one near the start of your workout program.
Smith Machine Bench Presses Exercise How To
- Lay down in the smith machine bench, back pressed flat into the bench and hands placed on the bar a little wider than shoulder width apart. Palms should be facing away from you.
- Keeping the feet on the floor, take a deep breath in and then press the weight up off the rack until the elbows are extended.
- Slowly lower the bar as you bend the elbows and move it down towards your sternum
- Pause when it’s almost touching your body and then drive the weight straight back up again to complete the rep as you exhale your breath.
- Continue until all reps are completed.
Form and Technique
Keep the back pressed flat into the bench at all times to avoid an unnatural arch that could eventually lead to lower back pain.
Also be sure to avoid hyperextending the elbows (or locking them) at the top of the exercise.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Smith Machine Bench Press
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!