How To Do Flutter Kicks
Flutter Kicks Exercise
Flutter Kicks is a great exercise for working the rectus abdominis with primary emphasis on the lower abdominals.
It also engages the hip flexors, serratus and the lower back muscles.
Flutter Kicks can be used as a warm up before training back and legs.
This exercise will improve the level of flexibility and mobility in your hips and lower back and reduce the risk of injury.
Flutter Kicks How To
- Lie on your back with your knees bent at a 45 degree angle.
- Make a fist and tuck them under your glutes to slightly elevate the hips off the floor.
- Raise your legs off the floor and extend them to a straightened position but maintain a slight bend in your knees. Raise your shoulders off the floor and keep your head in a neutral position.
- Alternately raise your left leg and your right leg. Keep them in a straightened position.
- Repeat until you have completed the targeted number of reps or attained the time period for the exercise.
Form and Technique
When performing Flutter Kicks, make sure your pelvis is tilted toward the torso which is why your fists are placed under your lower back area.
Always keep a tight core when performing Flutter Kicks as your lower abdominal muscles will experience various shifts in bodyweight. Do not rest your legs on the floor.
You can also do Flutter Kicks as a time under tension exercise by targeting a specific time period to sustain the exercise.
An effective routine is to perform several sets of 30 second intervals.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)