Leg Swings is an effective exercise that works the hamstrings, hip flexors, quadriceps, gluteus muscles and lower abdominals and lower back.
Leg Swings is a dynamic stretching exercise which helps prime the muscles before exercising.
Dynamic stretching helps activate muscle fibres and ligaments and gets them ready for exercise.
Using Leg Swings as a warm up is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of injury.
Leg Swings How To
- Stand beside a post and assume a slightly closer than shoulder width stance.
- Hold on to the post for balance. Flex at the hips, contract your lower abdominals and swing one leg forward as high as you can.
- Keep your leg straight with a slight bend on the knee. Once you reach top position, swing the leg back as far as you can.
- Another version is to swing one leg to the side as high as you can. Swing back and allow your working leg to cross the supporting leg.
- After you have completed the targeted number of reps on one leg, switch to the other leg and repeat the exercise.
- Perform the exact number of reps for both legs.
Form and Technique
Keep your upper body in a straight position and focus on getting a good stretch on the hamstrings, gluteus muscles, hips, lower back and a contraction on the hip flexors.
With Leg Swings, the higher the leg goes up the greater the stretch and the more forceful the contraction.
Warm Up: 2 sets x 20 reps
How To Do Leg Swings
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!