How To Do Leg Swings
Leg Swings Exercise
Leg Swings is an effective exercise that works the hamstrings, hip flexors, quadriceps, gluteus muscles and lower abdominals and lower back.
Leg Swings is a dynamic stretching exercise which helps prime the muscles before exercising.
Dynamic stretching helps activate muscle fibres and ligaments and gets them ready for exercise.
Using Leg Swings as a warm up is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of injury.
Leg Swings How To
- Stand beside a post and assume a slightly closer than shoulder width stance.
- Hold on to the post for balance. Flex at the hips, contract your lower abdominals and swing one leg forward as high as you can.
- Keep your leg straight with a slight bend on the knee. Once you reach top position, swing the leg back as far as you can.
- Another version is to swing one leg to the side as high as you can. Swing back and allow your working leg to cross the supporting leg.
- After you have completed the targeted number of reps on one leg, switch to the other leg and repeat the exercise.
- Perform the exact number of reps for both legs.
Form and Technique
Keep your upper body in a straight position and focus on getting a good stretch on the hamstrings, gluteus muscles, hips, lower back and a contraction on the hip flexors.
With Leg Swings, the higher the leg goes up the greater the stretch and the more forceful the contraction.
Warm Up: 2 sets x 20 reps