Scissor Kicks Exercise
Scissor Kicks is an effective exercise for working the abdominal area with primary emphasis on the lower abdominals.
It also engages the hip flexors, serratus and the lower back muscles.
Scissor Kicks can be used as a warm up before training back and legs.
It will improve the level of flexibility and mobility in your hips and lower back which are important to reduce the risk of injury.
Scissor Kicks How To
- Lie on your back with your knees bent at a 45 degree angle.
- Place your hands on the side of your hips for support or tuck them under your glutes to slightly elevate the hips off the floor.
- Raise your legs off the floor and extend them to a straightened position but maintain a slight bend in your knees.
- Alternately cross your left leg over your right leg then your right leg over your left leg.
- Another version is to alternately raise each leg in an up and down pattern as if you were walking.
- Repeat until you have completed the targeted number of reps or attained the time period for the exercise.
Form and Technique
Maintain a tight core when performing Scissor Kicks as your lower abdominal muscles will experience various shifts in bodyweight. Do not rest your legs on the floor.
You can also do Scissor Kicks as a time under tension exercise by targeting a specific time period to sustain the exercise.
An effective variation is to perform several sets of 30 second intervals.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)
How To Do Scissor Kicks
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!