How To Do Lateral Step Up
Lateral Step Up Exercise
Lateral step up will help work the lower body, particularly the quads, hamstrings, and glutes while also improving your balance and agility.
This exercise can be done with just your body weight or while holding a set of dumbbells at your sides or a barbell across your back.
Lateral Step Up How To
- Position a step or bench directly to the side of you. Note that the higher the step or bench is, the more challenging this exercise will be.
- Lift the leg closest to the step or bench up and place the foot directly on the bench.
- Begin transferring the weight to this foot as you straighten the knee and bring the other foot up to meet it. Assume a standing position on top of the bench.
- Begin to step down to the same side you started, this time leading with the opposite leg.
- Continue until all reps are completed and then switch sides and repeat.
Form and Technique
While doing this exercise, focus on keeping the core tight and make sure that your entire foot is up on the bench before you begin transferring your weight.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)
Routine for Muscle Gains: n/a