How To Do Box Step Ups
Box Step Ups Exercise
Box step ups are a great option for those who may not have option to a squat rack or who simply want an alternative way to train their lower body.
It can be performed simply with your own body weight or with a barbell across your back, or dumbbells in your hands.
The higher the step you use while doing this exercise, the more glute and hamstring activation you’ll receive.
Box Step Ups How To
- Position yourself just behind a box or step of sorts, body upright.
- Step one foot up onto the box, keeping the back straight while doing so.
- Once the foot is positioned firmly on the step, begin to strengthen the elevated knee and bring the body up so the other foot matches it, with feet side by side.
- Pause and then lower down, leading with your choice of leg. Whatever leg you lead down with, keep the same leg throughout all the reps.
- Continue until all reps are completed. Once finished, switch the leading legs and repeat.
Form and Technique
Keep the head looking straight in front of you or elevated slightly to prevent leaning forward with the upper body.
Also make sure that you keep the toes pointed forward as you step up onto the box at all times.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)
Routine for Muscle Gains: 5 sets x AMRAP (45-60 secs rest between sets)