Dumbbell step up exercise is a great alternative to the traditional squat exercise and will hit your quads, glute and hamstrings.
This exercise can be performed in your home gym very easily as well, making it a perfect option for those who don’t visit a public gym.
Dumbbell Step Ups How To
- Position yourself in a standing position just in front of a bench or step. Hold a pair of dumbbells, one in either hand, down by your sides.
- Bring one foot up and place it directly on the bench in front of you.
- Begin to press up through that leg, bringing the other leg up to meet it.
- Once in the standing position on top of the bench/step, slowly lower down one leg. This can be either the same leg as you started with or the opposite leg – your choice, but do keep it consistent throughout the exercise.
- Continue until all reps are completed and then switch sides and repeat.
Form and Technique
While doing dumbbell stepups, make sure to keep the head looking up and directly in front of the body.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Dumbbell Step Ups
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!