Kettlebell Swing exercise is a challenging exercise that effectively targets the gluteus muscles, hamstrings, upper part of the quadriceps and the lower back.
When doing Kettlebell Swings, the core muscles are engaged to ensure the core section is activated to keep the upper body stable and the lower back supported.
US Kettlebell Swings are a good exercise to build conditioning, mobility, stability, power and speed.
Kettlebell Swings Exercise Progression & Mobility
- Place a kettlebell on the floor and position it between your legs.
- Take a shoulder width stance; feet in a neutral position.
- Bend at the hips and knees and grab the handles of the kettlebell with both hands.
- Lift the kettlebell up; maintain a flat back position. Your upper back should be at an angle of 45 degrees with hips lower than the shoulders and let the kettlebell hang down.
- Take a deep breath, exhale then explode by driving your hips forward to throw the kettlebell over and above your head.
- At the top position, your shoulders must be in line with your upper back and hips at an angle of 90 degrees. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Return the kettlebell to starting position by following the same pathway.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Faults, Form and Technique
A common mistake when doing Kettlebell Swing is allowing the kettlebell to pull you far under your legs during the return to starting position.
This will place compression forces on the lower back as you rebound from the bottom position to begin the next rep.
Starting Kettlebell Swing from a Squat position; feet angled out, will turn the swing more into a row as you will tend to use your legs instead of your hips to bring the kettlebell overhead.
Variations: Russian Kettlebell Swing
How To Do Kettlebell Swings (US)
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!