Russian Kettlebell Swing exercise is a dynamic exercise that works the gluteus muscles, hamstrings, quadriceps and the lower back.
Russian Kettlebell Swing activates the core muscles to contract and maintain upper body stability and support for the lower back.
This exercise is important if you want to improve fitness conditioning, mobility, stability, power and speed.
Russian Kettlebell Swings Progression & Mobility
- Place a kettlebell between your legs.
- Take a shoulder width stance; feet in a neutral position.
- Bend at the hips and knees and grab the handles of the kettlebell with both hands.
- Lift the kettlebell up; maintain a flat back position. Your upper back should be at an angle of 45 degrees with hips lower than the shoulders and let the kettlebell hang down.
- Take a deep breath, exhale then explode by driving your hips forward to bring the kettlebell to eye level. Hold the position for a count of “one”.
- Return the kettlebell to starting position by following the same pathway.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Faults, Form and Technique
Maintain your flat back position; hips higher than shoulder level, in order to control the kettlebell during its return to starting position.
Allowing the kettlebell to drag you too far between your legs will place compression forces on the lower back as you rebound from the bottom position to begin the next rep.
Always use your hips to initiate the kettlebell. Do not muscle it up to eye level by using your arms.
Variations: US Kettlebell Swing
How To Do Russian Kettlebell Swings
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!