How To Do Lunges
Lunges are an excellent compound exercise that will help you gain strength and power in the lower body, while also working your cardiovascular system at the same time.
For this reason, it’s good for not only building muscle, but also burning fat as well.
Lunges How To
- Get into a standing position with the arms down by your sides or placed on the hips if preferred. Feet should be hip width apart.
- From there, take one step forward about 2 feet or so and place the foot down on the ground in front of you.
- Begin to transfer your weight while you bend both knees.
- Lower the back knee down until it’s almost touching the ground and the front knee is at a 90 degree angle.
- Pause and then press up through that front leg, bringing it back to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other leg, or if preferred, alternate legs as you go.
Form and Technique
When doing this exercise, be sure that you are moving the knee directly over the toes at all times to avoid knee pain development.
In addition to this, avoid leaning forward with the upper body, which would place great strain on the lower back joints.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)
Routine for Muscle Gains: 5 sets x AMRAP (45-60 secs rest between sets)