Ring Muscle Up Exercise
Ring Muscle Up is a great exercise for the upper body. It develops your lat muscles, shoulders, upper back, traps, biceps, forearms, chest and triceps.
It also works your core section and the lower back.
Ring Muscle Up will require tremendous balance and stability which is why you should focus on executing the exercise with precise technique.
It will build strength and explosive power in your upper body.
Ring Muscle Up Progression & Mobility
- Take a false grip or a thumb-less grip on a set of rings.
- Start Ring Muscle Up by kipping; alternately opening and closing up the distance between the sternum and navel to generate momentum from the bottom.
- From there, transition to the front lever where your hips are swinging higher with straight legs and shoulders leaning back. At this stage, you are using your lat muscles to pull down on the rings.
- When your arms are almost in line with the rings, explosively pull yourself up and over. The rings must be under your armpit and directly under your elbows. Keep your elbows close to the body. Lean forward slightly with shoulders and upper back rounded.
- Transition to a dip by pushing your hands through the rings and extending the elbows to lockout.
- Once you’ve completed the rep, move back to the bottom position of the dip, hang down then disembark from the rings.
- Repeat the exercise once you’ve completed the targeted number of reps or time interval.
Faults, Form and Technique
A common fault in Ring Muscle Up is to start the kip with the legs and hips instead of the core section.
It will not generate enough momentum to bring you high up into the bar.
Another common fault is coming up to the bottom position of the dip with elbows wide open and away from the body.
This will place more stress on your chest, elbows and rotator cuff.
How To Do Ring Muscle Up
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!