Smith Machine Bench Press Throws Exercise
Smith Machine Bench Press Throw focuses on building the entire chest with special emphasis on the middle and outer areas.
It also works the front head of the shoulders and triceps muscles.
This is a variation of the traditional Bench Press that is used to build more power in the upper body. The Smith Machine is used for safety.
If you want to improve your game in football, boxing, tennis, baseball and other sports that require upper body power this is the exercise for you.
Smith Machine Bench Press Throw How To
- Line up a flat bench in the center of a Smith Machine.
- Load the bar with a weight that is approximately 30% of your heaviest Bench Press.
- Lie down on the flat bench with the bar directly above your lower chest.
- Pull back your shoulder blades and make sure these are braced against the bench.
- Plant both feet firmly on the floor.
- Grab the bar using your regular Bench Press grip width.
- Un-rack the bar, inhale and slowly bring the weight down to your chest.
- When the bar touches your chest, exhale then explode from the bottom with such force and power that the bar literally leaves your hands.
- Catch the bar and in one smooth, controlled motion bring the weight back down your chest.
- Repeat until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Smith Machine Bench Press throws aim to develop the explosive fast twitch fibres which means you should not work until exhaustion.
Catching the weight will place tremendous forces on your shoulders.
You can distribute these forces by maintaining tightness and stability in your upper body.
Keep your elbows moving toward your lats at the descent to avoid flaring.
Variations: Pin Press
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Smith Machine Bench Press Throws
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!