Butterfly Sit Ups Exercise
Butterfly Sit Ups is a great exercise for developing the abdominals.
It targets the transverse abdominis, rectus abdominis muscles, the serratus and the hip flexors. Sit Ups also engage the lower back muscles.
Butterfly Sit Ups will build core strength, mobility in the hips and flexibility in the abdominals and lower back muscles.
Butterfly Sit Ups Progression & Mobility
- Sit on the floor and assume the butterfly position; legs wide and the sole of one foot in contact with the sole of the other foot.
- Lie back and place your arms behind your head. Keep your arms straight and hands together.
- Contract the hip flexors and pull your upper abdominals toward your ribcage to curl your lower back. Bring your upper body off the floor and extend your arms over and forward.
- Reach forward until you can touch the floor area in front of your feet. Make sure your hips remain in contact with the floor throughout the exercise.
- Return to starting position by extending at the hips, pulling your arms back and lowering your upper body to the floor.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Faults, Form and Technique
One of the most common faults in doing Butterfly Sit Ups is applying the form and technique of the traditional sit up where the legs are closer together.
Given the explosive nature of Butterfly Sit Ups, it will throw you off balance.
Another fault is performing each rep at a very fast pace. Yes, Butterfly Sit Ups is an explosive exercise but you should remain in control of your form.
Performing very fast reps without maintaining good form will keep your hips off the floor.
Variations: Medicine Ball Sit Ups
How To Do Butterfly Sit Ups
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!