Car Drivers Exercise
Car Drivers is a unique exercise that targets the front head of the shoulders.
The rotational direction of the exercise also works the lateral head.
Because of the forward position of the plate, your core will be greatly activated to keep your body stable and to reduce compression forces on your lower back.
Car Drivers can be used as a warm up before pressing or as a finisher after a shoulder or chest workout.
Car Drivers How To
- Pick up a barbell plate with both hands and position it on your front thighs.
- Assume a shoulder position; tighten your core and keep a flat back throughout the exercise. Bend your knees slightly to maintain better balance.
- With a slight bend in your elbows, raise the barbell plate in front of you and at shoulder level. Your hand position is neutral; as if you are holding the steering wheel of a car.
- Then rotate your arms from the 12 o’clock position to the 6 o’clock position continuously. Your shoulders will also be rotating from the side to the top position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Always maintain a tight core when doing Car Drivers because the consistent rotation of the arms will create shifts in weight.
The forward position of the arms will also place more compression forces on your lower back.
Go through the full range of motion when doing Car Drivers to get complete development on your shoulders.
Routine for Strength: 5 sets x AMRAP (30 secs rest between sets)
Routine for Muscle Gains: 5 sets x AMRAP (45-60 secs rest between sets)
How To Do Car Drivers (1:18 Min Video)
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!