Close Grip Incline Bench Press exercise is an effective exercise for targeting your upper and middle chest, frontal shoulders and triceps.
This is an exercise where you can load up on weight and add mass on the upper chest.
The upper chest is a problem area for many people who have made the Bench Press the cornerstone of their chest training program.
Close Grip Incline Bench Press How To
- Keep your feet flat on the floor to stabilise your upper body.
- Pull back your shoulder blades and lie on the bench.
- Grab the bar with a grip that is slightly inside shoulder width.
- Slightly arch your lower back.
- Take a deep breath, un-rack and bring the bar down to touch your upper chest.
- Press up in a straight line.
- Keep your shoulders pinned on the bench at all times.
- No need to lock out the elbows to keep constant tension on the chest and to protect your joints from hyper-extending.
- Lower slowly to keep tension on the muscles, then repeat your desired amount of repetitions.
Form and Technique
Set the angle of the bench at 30 degrees to target the chest more. Always grip with your thumb; there is a reason why thumb-less is called the “suicide grip”.
It is advisable to use a grip that is slightly inside shoulder width to keep the shoulder from rounding at the bottom and impinging the rotator cuff.
Variations: Incline Dumbbell Press (Palms-In)
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Close Grip Incline Bench Press
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!