Cuban Press exercise is a unique exercise in that it develops the shoulders and works the rotator cuff directly.
The rotator cuff is the group of muscles and tendons that keep the head of your upper arm bone firmly within the socket of the shoulder.
This area is commonly injured when doing activities that heavily involve the shoulders.
Cuban Presses are an effective exercise for strengthening the rotator cuff after injury or when trying to add flexibility and stability in the shoulders.
This is a valuable exercise for tennis, baseball players, swimming and other activities that involve shoulder rotation.
Cuban Press How To
- Place a pair of light weights to the front of your thighs.
- Take a shoulder width position; put an arch on your lower back and keep your core tight throughout the exercise.
- Begin Cuban Press by performing an upright row with the dumbbells; row the dumbbells to chest level, elbows in line with your shoulders.
- Rotate the dumbbells around until it ends up on your shoulders with palms facing out.
- Press the dumbbells straight up. Do not lock out your elbows at the top position.
- Resist the weight as you bring the dumbbells back to shoulder level.
- Rotate the dumbbells back down to the top position of the upright row.
- Bring the dumbbells back to the starting position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Only use light weights for Cuban Press. The rotator cuff needs to develop flexibility and stability for the area to get stronger.
Your transitions from upright row to the rotation to dumbbell press must be precise, strict and tight. Do not use momentum during the transitions.
Variations: Arnold Press
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Cuban Press
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!