How To Do Lying Tricep Press (aka Skull Crushers)
Lying Tricep Press Exercise
Lying Tricep Press are a great exercise to build, define, and strengthen the triceps.
They are a great addition to any arm protocol and often used as part of a super-set with barbell curls for an overall arm workout.
Lying Tricep Press How To (With EZ Bar)
- Locate a flat bench and an EZ-bar with an appropriate weight.
- Grasp the EZ-bar either with a narrow grip and lie down on the bench.
- Press the bar so that it’s directly overhead at eye level, ensuring the upper arms are perpendicular to the floor.
- Bend the elbows and lower the weight, pausing an inch or two above the forehead.
- Contract the triceps and flex the elbows back to starting position in a slow, controlled manner.
Form and Technique
Ensure that upper arms remain stationary throughout the range of motion.
To prevent elbow tendonitis, ensure that the movement is slow and controlled throughout.
Be sure to only use enough weight that challenges you – not forces you to move out of good form.
This one is easy to let yourself slip out of, which places great strain on the ligaments and tendons.
Variations: Incline Tricep Extension
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps