How To Do Tricep Press
Tricep Press Exercise
Tricep Press is a great compound exercise that works the chest and shoulders but the primary muscles targeted are the triceps.
Tricep Press can be performed after a pressing exercise for the chest and shoulders where the elbows are already warmed up.
You can use moderately heavy to heavy weight when doing Tricep Press.
Tricep Press How To
- Pick up a pair of dumbbells and sit near the edge of a flat bench.
- Lie back and press the dumbbells up with your palms facing each other. Stabilise your feet; make sure they are planted firmly on the floor with knees bent and keep an arch on your lower back.
- Rotate your wrists slightly inward so that your palms are facing you. The dumbbells must be in line with your lower chest.
- Take a deep breath, exhale then lower the dumbbells by bending the elbows. Bring the dumbbells to lower chest level.
- Press the dumbbells up by extending the elbows. At the top position, squeeze the triceps for a count of “one”.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
Make sure your wrists stay in alignment with your elbows. This is very important especially at the bottom position.
The dumbbells must be in line with your wrist and elbows to avoid unnecessary strain on the joints.
Rotating the wrists inward shifts more effort toward the triceps but there will be more strain on the wrists.
Just rotate your wrists a quarter of the way.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps