How To Do Pallof Press
Pallof Press Exercise
Pallof Press is a unique and challenging compound exercise that primarily focuses on the abdominal muscles but also engages the lower back and in certain variations, the chest and the shoulders as well.
Pallof Press is an effective exercise for building strength, flexibility and mobility in your hips, core section and lower back.
This is an important exercise to include in your program if you are involved in physical activities that utilise trunk rotation and hip stability. These activities include baseball, tennis, golf and boxing.
Pallof Press How To
- Set the height of a cable pulley handle to shoulder level.
- Grab the handle of the cable pulley with both hands. Turn your body to the left side. Your left arm must be straight and the right arm bent.
- Assume a shoulder width stance, tighten your core, push your hips and chest slightly out to maintain a strong position.
- Rotate your trunk to the left side. At the finished position, both arms are straightened out and directly in front of your upper chest.
- In variation #1, bring the cable handle to your chest. When your hands have touched your chest, press the handle forward by extending your arms back to starting position.
- In variation #2, bring the cable handle to your chest. When you hands have touched your chest, press the handle straight up then back down to starting position.
- Regardless of which variation you choose, once you’ve completed the targeted number of reps, switch positions and work the right side. Perform the exact number of reps.
Form and Technique
With Pallof Press, choose a weight that is heavy enough and will create enough tension to pull your body back toward the cable station.
The heavier the weight and the more reps you do the greater will be the challenge to maintain the correct body position.
Your core section will work harder to keep your body in place.
Variations: Cable Chest Press,
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps