How To Do Preacher Curl
Preacher Curl Exercise
Preacher curl is a great isolation exercise for the biceps that primarily targets the short head.
This will help shape, define and create that separation on the inside portion of the upper arm.
Preacher Curl How To
- Locate a preacher curl bench and an EZ-bar barbell.
- Grasp the EZ-bar either with a narrow grip or shoulder width grip. Note that a wider grip will target more of the short/inner head of the bicep while a closer grip will shift to the long/outer head.
- Keep the upper arm firmly against the pad and chest against it.
- Curl the bar towards the chin as you squeeze the biceps. Pause briefly at the top of the exercise.
- Slowly lower the weight back to starting position for full range of motion. Repeat.
Form and Technique
It’s important to keep the movement slow and controlled with this exercise and use a weight that’s appropriate.
The biceps are a small muscle group and do not require extremely heavy loads which may just lead to injury.
Focus on the contraction and mind muscle connection for maximum benefit.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps