Overhead Cable Curl Exercise
Overhead Cable Curl is a unique exercise for building the biceps.
This exercise generates a strong contraction at the top and requires strict form and technique.
Overhead Cable Curl is best done after a compound exercise such as Barbell Curl.
You should not lift heavy with Overhead Cable Curl because your elbows are vulnerable and you need to focus on contraction and extension.
Overhead Cable Curl How To
- Set the handle of a cable pulley machine at a height where the pulley handle is slightly higher than shoulder level.
- Take an underhand grip on the pulley handle and move a few steps to the side to create tension on the cable.
- Assume a shoulder width stance and tighten your core. Keep a slight bend in your elbow. Place your free hand on the hip for support.
- Take a deep breath, exhale then flex at the elbow. Contract the biceps and curl the handle toward your head. Squeeze the biceps as hard as you can.
- Resist the weight on the way back to starting position.
- Once you have completed the targeted number of reps, switch arms and repeat the exercise. Perform the exact number of reps.
Form and Technique
Always maintain a slight bend on the elbow. This helps keep constant tension on the biceps and prevents over-extension of the elbow. Keep the elbow in place.
Because of the unilateral nature of this exercise, you should keep your core tight to accommodate shifts in body weight and to protect the lower back.
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps