Cable Shoulder Press Exercise
Cable Shoulder Press is an excellent exercise for developing the entire shoulder complex.
Primary focus is on the lateral and anterior heads of the shoulder but the posterior head, upper back and traps will also be engaged in the exercise.
The core muscles will be activated to stabilise the upper body and support the lower back.
Cable Shoulder Press maintains constant tension on the shoulder and helps improve stability and mobility in the area.
This is a valuable exercise for swimmers, gymnasts and basketball players.
Cable Shoulder Press Exercise How To
- Set a bench in the center of a cable pulley machine.
- Grab the pulley handles and position them alongside your shoulders; your hands must be slightly above shoulder level and palms facing out.
- Set your back at a 90 degree angle and keep your feet flat on the floor. Tighten you core and keep an arch on your lower back.
- Contract your shoulders and upper back and press the handles up in a semi-arc direction until the pulley handles touch above your head.
- Resist and being the handles back to starting position.
- Repeat the exercise until you have completed the targeted number of reps.
Form and Technique
You can do another version of Cable Shoulder Press by rotating your hands from palms facing out at the starting position to palms facing each other at the top position.
This version involves the rotator cuff and shifts tension from the lateral head to the anterior head.
Maintain a slight bend in your elbows for continuous tension.
Variations: Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Routine for Strength: 3 sets x 12-15 reps
Routine for Muscle Gains: 4-5 sets x 6-8 reps
How To Do Cable Shoulder Press
Exercises.com.au is Australia’s premier exercise and fitness website with over 1100 pages, 600+ exercise videos, 500+ articles on exercise, fitness, muscle building, strength training, toning, weight loss, nutrition, supplements and more!